Sunday, February 3, 2008

Reminiscing


I am in a reminiscing sort of mood today. I googled Alexia's surgeon, who did her repair 18+ years ago, Dr. Hillel Laks. It wasn't untill our last support group meeting, did I really realize what an amazing accomplishment actually took place. When Alexia had this repair in 1989, pediatric open heart surgery was still very new. I am sure this was an experimental surgery. I remember it being a very long day, close to a 14 hour surgery. I remember the next day, was a critcal day with 2 codes. I remember 4 weeks later going home. Do you know how much I would like to thank him personally, but he probably doesn't even remember us. I want to do something for him (remember he is 8 hours from us) and I hope you can help me. I want him to remember the day he fixed Lexi and him to know how much I am thankful. I need ideas. Post ideas here and If I use one (or more) of them, you will win a Valentine goodie bag/box.

1 comment:

Gina and the Gang said...

Valerie, I think that nothing would make Dr. Laks more pround and fulfilled than to see Lexi, remind him of her history, and to let him know where her heart journey has taken you. I think that any doctor would be amazed at her life, and how you have molded your life around helping other families of children with heart defects. I know he must be a very busy man, and pretty far away, but I'm sure making an appointment to meet with him wouldn't be too far fetched! From my own experience, most heart surgeons I've met are brilliant, yet very humble and kind.