Thursday, January 31, 2008

Heart Stuff

About 6 months ago Amber and I decided we needed a real life, face to face support group for families of children with congenital heart disease. I met Amber a little more then a year ago, on line, when she started seeking out support for her son, Logan, who has congenital heart disease. With the blessing of certain professionals and a monthly free room at Sutter Memorial Hospital, we had our first meeting. 7 ladies showed up and we had a great time. Tonight is our next meeting, with over 35 people signed up to come, we have Rick Mainwaring, MD, Pediatric CV Surgeon and Adult with Congenital Heart Disease, Surgeon speaking. Our group is called Hearts of Hope and the ladies in this group are fabulous. In addition, Cynthia Hubert, feature writer for the Sacramento Bee, contacted me and wants to also come tonight and do a full on feature spread in the paper. It feels so good being able to give back to families just starting this journey. I wish there was more for me 22-years ago, when I ws just starting. But now, I will focus on helping........

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Valerie!

Just getting a chance to leave a comment on your site. It's great the things you are doing for the CHD community--getting together resources and speakers must not be an easy feat. I aspire to do the same for moms and others in my area one day. Education is key to awareness and further funding for research. Thanks for all your support. It means so much to me!

Jen