Thursday, March 20, 2008

Be so happy that it is 2008 and not 1985

Sometimes, if I have finished my current book I am reading and my husband is at work, I take some time to poke through different heart blogs that are out there. I did just this last night and it is amazing to me how many families are awaiting their 3rd surgery, be it the Fontan or a repair. The waiting game. Oh, how I don't envy any of you but what could I do to make it easier? Absolutely nothing. One blog I read, Eka's blog talked about the 5-year-mark, which I have always thought, with any complex heart defect, if you can reach that age, things will surely be fine. It was good to read that someone else out there was thinking that (she many have a different interpretation). I am so thankful we are where we are now, Alexia has done amazing well, but if I had to choose, I would have wanted a baby born, with a complex heart defect, in the year 2008 rather then 1985, with everything that has changed in the world of Pediatric Heart Surgery.

I want to tell everyone, "It will all be ok!!", "Your children will be fine!" It will just be hell getting there.


Alexia and her PC, Andy Juris, after her repair in 1990.



Alexia, Summer 2007

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I am definitely glad that Drew was born when he was, but I'm sure fifteen years from now there will be even more advancements. That is why I think the world of heart defects is so full of hope, they are always making improvements.