Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Hospitalization

Well, well, well. Yesterday was quite the interesting day. Alexia normally calls me through out her days on campus and yesterday she called me and said a few times while sitting in her class she had some "fast heart rate" episodes. She said she thought she was fine though and she would see me at home. I had a meeting at Aden's school and Carl was scheduled to work. When I got into my car after the meeting there was a voice mail on my phone and Carl and her were on their way to the Cardiolgosits for a EKG. Alexia's heart rate had tipped over 200 and it was erratic, time to get checked out. After her EKG the doc sent us to Sutter Memorial's ER. The Cardiologist came in as well as the E.P.. They had tried 2 doses of Solatol and then decided something else had to be done. The arrythmia she was in was Atrial Flutter and then next step was a cardioversion. The E.P., Cardiologist, R.T. and a couple nurses were in the room. Prophathol was administered and the "shock" took place. It worked and within 10 minutes she was back to a beautiful sinus rhythm. Alexia is now back on a Sotalol and they will need to monitor her beacause sometimes this med can cause arrythmia's.

One of the perks of Carl working for SMH was she got a private, luxury room with one on one nursing on 4th floor telemetry. I am sure this is a room that they use for celebrities, athletes etc. I will be heading over there now and will post later when I find out find out the plan.

5 comments:

Andrea said...

Valerie,
I'm so sorry to hear Alexia is in the hospital. I'm glad though that her rhythm is back to normal and that you are being well taken care of at Sutter. Keep us updated!

Awesome Mom said...

I hope that she gets out of the hospital soon and that everything is Ok.

Anonymous said...

Valerie and Family, We're wishing Alexia a speedy recovery and keeping you all in our prayers. Healing Hugs from Carrie & Colin

mina said...

Valerie,
Sorry to hear about Alexia's atrial flutter. That must have been quite a scare. Has she had any arrhythmias before? I know that certain rhythm abnormalities are more common after certain CHD repairs. Hoping things remain resolved after the cardioversion.

CanCan said...

I hope Alexia feels better soon! It's so scary when your child is suffering!