Thursday, August 16, 2007

Food, Books and the Traveling Quilt

Last night was our Book Club. There are 12 women in the group and we rotate homes every month, so each only hosts once a year. We chatted about a book called Keeping The House by Ellen Baker last night, good read. The SAH mom's of the 50's were much different the the ones now. Could you imagine, 12 different aprons to match your dress/pumps that you wore throughout the day. My favorite part of the way we do our discussion groups is we bring food straight out of the book. Last night the theme was "comfort food" and we had a variety of dishes. The hostess last night made a bacon wrapped shrimp over risotto with a chipitole/cream sauce, it was so delicious it made me weep! She made it seem so easy, risotto takes alot of patience, and I have never succeeded in making it. This makes me think of 10 things that you can always find in my kitchen; you will notice risotto is not among the list.

1. Coffee Beans,San Francisco Bay French Roast (Costco)
2. Honey Bumpers Cereal,my son cannot live without them (Whole Foods)
3. Hemp Plus Granola, my husband cannot live without, it does not make for a positive urine test (Whole foods)
4. 5 pound bag of frozen strawberries, smoothies, Costco
5. Nancy's 64 oz, plain yogurt, smoothies, the Co-op
6. Dino Tots, they help in a pinch with a hungry 6-year-old boy (Raleys)
7. Chocolate chip granola bars same as above (Raleys)
8. Arizona Ice Tea to keep me going throughout the day
9. Peanut butter, honey and bread for my daughter who could live off it
And finally.... 10. Bananas we go through a bunch a day, breakfast and/or smoothies

We have put in a request to have the CHD Quilt be at our Symposium on the 28th of September. I never realized how beautiful they are, check them out when you have a chance. www.chdquilt.org

No comments: